Thursday, October 23, 2008

My First Deer Hunt


Let me begin by stating that I am not a hunter. I am a Bambi lover and will cry "Run, Bambi, Run!" if I think I can save those beautiful big eyes from an early demise. Guys in college wouldn't let me go rabbit hunting with them after the first time because I couldn't deal with the cry of little Thumper.

Yet I just spent two days with my son Ken, his wife Shiann, their two children, Spencer and Shawn and Ken's friend, Bryan. They were down at Shiann's family's property near Price, Utah. The picture above is of Ken's 4-point buck. Poor little thing!
Little Shawn Boardin is learning to talk. He has a deep voice just like Kenny did as a child.

How I loved the mountains! I loved the stars at night and the huge campfires. I really loved playing with Spencer and Shawn. I slept in a camper bed that was not quite the width of a single bed. I also shared it with Spencer and Brittany (our German Shorthair dog). In the early mornings and the twilight of the evenings, we would drive all over the mountain logger roads and look for deer so that Shiann could get hers. We only saw one buck, and he got away. (He heard my silent, "Run, Bambi, Run!)



The temperature at night was about 16 degrees. It never got much past 40 degrees during the day. Bryan lent me his insulated coveralls so that I could stay warm. They are amazing!





Spencer liked to swordfight with the marshmallow sticks and to play ball with Brittany and "Knock, Knock" with me.


Both Spencer and Shawn Boardin love the doggies. (Brittany and Baby)


Shiann is such a wonderful mom and wife. We are happy to have her in our family. This was a really great little vacation for me. I have felt somewhat overstressed lately and have happily benefited from a couple of days in the wild, enjoying bright starry skies, the smell of pines, the hypnotic flames of a campfire and the love of my family.

5 comments:

Kimbooly said...

Wow. I'm impressed you went on the hunting trip. What a great time for you to get to be with Ken, Shiann, and your handsome grandbabies.

Thanks for all the wondrful pictures.

Katie said...

Great pictures. I am glad you had a good time. It makes me miss the mountains and a good warm campfire. I miss Ken and his fam too. HI TO EVERYONE!!!

Katie

Teric said...

Wow, I don't think I could have shot a deer, but you know I love camping. 16 degrees at night! YUMMY COLD WEATHER!

Thanks for the pictures, mom. Wish I could have been there.

Judy said...

Wow! Good for you, Lonna. What a fun Grandma you must be. Loved the photos and the tales of the woods.

Jenni said...

Hey, Lonna!

I saw a comment you'd made on my mom's blog, and so I stalked on over to say hello! So fun to see your family! Glad to see you are doing well. Come visit us anytime at self-bakedpizza.blogspot.com :-)

XOXO,
Jenni