Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On being grandparents . . .

A couple of weeks ago we cared for two of our little grandchildren, Isaac (age one) and Katelyn (age 3) for eight days while their parents, Kristy and Brian, were in Provo for a Dancesport competition at BYU. This deal also included a tiny white miniature schnauzer puppy that was not completely potty-trained.This decision was made in a quick moment. We had an interesting week and learned something: we are getting old! We had forgotten some very important things about the care of small children. (The following list is a collaboration between the two of us):

1) it is impossible to keep the house straight
2) it takes twice as long to go anywhere
3) small messes can become major messes if you don't stay right on top of it
4) this is a 24-hour a day task
5) training a dog means training yourself
6) quick-change artists come in size three, and
7) babies have incredibly strong lungs.

Moms, does this sound familiar? Kimberly is loving it! She says she feels validated.

Yet, there were some wonderful memories that came back to us:

1) there is never a dull moment
2) we don't have to go out to be entertained
3) "kids say the darndest things" and the cutest, most hilarious
4) they love us even when we say "no" -- at least they love us later
5) babies are so angelic when they are sleeping
6) it is fun to take them out and have people say how adorable they are, and
7) about the time we become exhausted, we can give them back to their parents.

Actually we really did have a fun week and had some lovely moments. My favorite (Lonna) one was one evening when I sat in my rocking chair in the corner of the living room with two sleeping children on my lap. Two little heads were tucked up under my chin. So cuddly and cozy! I couldn't move to put either one to bed without waking the other, so I sat and rocked for about 45 minutes until Max came home to help me. I remember thinking, "This is heaven!"

So now we are resting comfortably during the night, in the early mornings, during meals, and during regular children's bathtimes. We have forgotten dirty diapers, sticky fingers and screaming tantrums. So why do we miss them so much?

3 comments:

Kimbooly said...

Great writing, perfect ending to the post, too.

And I felt SO validated! I'm so mean, but I kept laughing at everything mom kept telling me about the grandkids' stay. I ate it up. I felt so, so, well,
validated!

Very clever. I loved your comments.

Katie said...

I loved your fun post! Good job to both of you for surviving eight days with two exuberant children. You keep telling me that this is what I have to look forward to.

I am SO excited to see you in 12 or so days! Then you can be a grandma again and take care of your newest niece. See you soon.

K-Krew said...

These guys are so cute. It was nice to see you all in person. Thanks for doing the pictures. I can't wait to see them. Have fun with your newest grandbaby :)